Monday, October 16, 2017

Fatigue Be Gone!

This morning I woke up happy. I’m always happy when I wake up. I don’t always necessarily want to brave what the day has in store for me, but I’m literally happy for being blessed with another day in which I can choose my adventure. Today though, I was particularly happy because I snapped out of my extreme fatigue. 

Every September, since having hypothyroidism, I’ve been prone to an extended period of fatigue. It happens about twice a year, but in the fall it’s worse than in the spring. This year it lasted three weeks. If you suffer from a thyroid health condition, I KNOW you can relate. Pure exhaustion hits, brain fog stifles your speech and memories, and at times sleep doesn’t even feel like the answer. Usually I experience seasonal depression too. It just totally sucks.

This year was different, and I’ll tell you why. If you follow my blog, and you know me, I’m not about negativity. Regardless of how many shitty things that happen in life, no matter the endless battles many of us face with life in general, and chronic illnesses, we get to choose how we respond to our adventure. I love the Iowa State University (I’m an alumna) commercials, and each time I see them I smile because it’s a constant reminder that we have choices. In regards to our thyroid health, this means that we can control something in regards to our personal well-being. And if it’s regarding your career, do what you love and have a passion for, that’s living.

This year, instead of withdrawing completely from friends, activities, and just “resting” at home, I kept my commitments, and I made a commitment to myself. I did cardio four times a week, regardless of the day, regardless of how I was feeling; I powered thru it. If you have the right playlist, running happens, weight training happens, and you feel better. When you make personal commitments that impact your emotional, physical and mental health, you can go from feeling okay to good, good to better, and better to best.  

It’s Monday, TGIM! Smile and be blessed,
S

No comments:

Post a Comment